VPP Discord server Read more... ×
ClanVPP
Reece

Potential for Discord Server

I think there isn't much explanation needed for this one, folks. Anytime someone mentions the name "TeamSpeak" there's a hefty majority who snicker and kid. I and many others in the community would appreciate a Discord server for the best, convenient access to community discussion, chat, and help. After bringing up the topic on multiple occasions in the Dallas TF2 Trade Server, the request for a Discord server remained unanimous throughout. Not a single person stood up for poor TeamSpeak.

Ideally, it would not be a replacement for the forum, nor be organized the same way. The main purpose it would serve is the same or similar to TeamSpeak's. The server would be organized and setup by the VPP crew, and there would be separate channels and roles respectively for Guests, Members, and Administration. There would also be separate channels for the several servers across all the games hosted by VPP.

For maximum convenience, this Discord server could be community operated. I've made a large slew of Discord servers, all successful with their original goals and intentions. I have a library of community members that would be more than happy to assist with this method if the VPP authorities are unable to muster up something this size. I understand time is precious to many of you admins, much respect for carrying on and continuing to serve. salute.

Hopefully this idea does not fall through, and it isn't too inconvenient for administration to hop onto. I think this sort of movement would be a great step in the right direction for everyone: Community members, Newcomers, and even for Admins, granting quick, easy access to all the players. Similar to the occasional server message in the chat advertising the clanvpp site, a new message could be added that advertises "We have a Discord server: [invite link]" or something of the like. These are just a few ideas as well, I'm sure I didn't cover everything. If anyone has anything at all to contribute, feel free to do so.

Yea been getting a lot of requests for a discord server. Most of us are very old in our 40's and 50's so we don't like changes or like to learn new things.  This community started in 2002 so we are old farts. I'll ask around to the active admins to see if they would like a discord server or not. 

I can't remember the last time I used anything other than discord. I use it for games and I use it over slack for my businesses.

I'm all for this. It shouldn't be a shocker that TeamSpeak isn't as popular as it once was. If we receive a good consensus, I will go ahead and setup one up.

Edited by Moop the communist

An issue with Discord is that you can't add too many channels otherwise it gets a bit cancer to navigate through. TS has tabs so it's a lot easier to see groupings/nested channels. 

But otherwise, Discord is a great option.

6 minutes ago, shoottomaim said:

An issue with Discord is that you can't add too many channels otherwise it gets a bit cancer to navigate through. TS has tabs so it's a lot easier to see groupings/nested channels. 

But otherwise, Discord is a great option.

Not to mention the overall audio quality being better on Discord!

I'd hate to say it, but our Teamspeak server is pretty much dead. It requires PW to join, then have to obtain voice privilege from an admin just to be able to talk.

I think I see about less than 20 people that are constantly active on TS. I personally think TS sounds much better than discord, but pros of discord outweigh that significantly. 

My vote goes for Discord

I think I may have suggested Discord before, but someone said that TeamSpeak has a better security system? That's the only reason why I never pushed for it.

1 hour ago, TheRealDoge said:

I think I may have suggested Discord before, but someone said that TeamSpeak has a better security system? That's the only reason why I never pushed for it.

lies!!!! all lies!!!!!

19 minutes ago, Welcome to ClanVPP said:

too bad you can't even get admin on the steam group noob

holy fuck that's actually toxic LMAOOOO